11.11.2010

Jake Waste signs National Letter of Intent to Wrestle for UB


The following article is from the Pioneer Press in Minneapolis, MN.

Flashbulbs and pens got a workout Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period when high school athletes formally declare their collegiate athletic intentions.

Here's a closer look at who signed where:
APPLE VALLEY
A school-record nine athletes signed Division I letters of intent.
Activities director Pete Buesgens said he knew of two others who were going to sign, but nine participated in the ceremony in the school's theater. Five were wrestlers from Apple Valley's nationally top-ranked squad.
Wrestler Jacob Waste, who signed with the University of Buffalo, was flanked by four playful, trash-talking teammates. On Waste's right were teammates and Gophers recruits Jordan Kingsley and Steven Keough. To his left were Wisconsin recruits Matt Kelliher and Destin McCauley.
"When I heard they were going to Wisconsin, I told them, 'Get out of here,' '' said Keough, the Class AAA 160-pound champion last season.
"You never thought it would happen that you are teammates one season and not the next,'' said Kelliher, the big-school 125-pound champion last year. "I guess we knew we couldn't all go to the same college, so we kind of knew this would happen someday.''
McCauley, the top-ranked wrestler in the country, will hold off enrolling at Wisconsin until 2012. After the state tournament in March, he will train with the national team in Colorado Springs, Colo., with hopes of qualifying for the London Olympics.
He said no to Minnesota in September and ended his recruitment last month when he gave an oral commitment to wrestle for the Badgers. He selected Wisconsin in part because the Badgers were most supportive of his Olympic aspirations.
At the conclusion of his prep career, McCauley likely will be considered Minnesota's most dominant wrestler.
"I am really glad this is over,'' McCauley said of the signing. "Now there won't be the pressure of calls and we can concentrate on wrestling.''
There is a possibility that McCauley, a 152-pounder, could face Keough in college.
"No, I don't want to wrestle him,'' Keough said. "Personally, I don't think we want to wrestle one another, but if we have to, we will.''
Wednesday's signing contingent represented the most Division I wrestling signees Apple Valley's tradition-rich program has had in a year.
"It is a remarkable day for Apple Valley High School,'' wrestling coach Jim Jackson said. "We are very proud of all of the Apple Valley student-athletes that signed tenders.''
Also signing were volleyball players Melissa Racz (Liberty) and Taylor Voss (Columbia); basketball player Tom Schalk (William & Mary) and baseball player Aaron Gretz (Ohio State).
MINNEHAHA ACADEMY
Katelyn Adams, a 6-foot-5 center, signed her letter of intent at 7:30 a.m. to play basketball at Liberty University, and coach Josh Thurow faxed the paperwork two hours later. Her signing ceremony was pushed back to today.
Adams has helped lead the Redhawks to three state tournament appearances, including the Class AA title last season.
"Katelyn Adams doesn't know what it's like to not play in the state tournament,'' Thurow said. "She's one of the main reasons we've played deep into March the last three years. She is a great post defender, an outstanding shooter, tremendous student and will represent us well at the Division I level.''
HILL-MURRAY
Another standout post player was the center of attention at Hill-Murray, where 6-4 senior Bethany Doolittle signed to play for Iowa. Before she moves on to college, she has two items she wants to take care of during her senior year.
"I want to get back to the (Class AAA) championship game, and I would like to dunk sometime,'' she said with a laugh. "I need to work hard on both of those goals.''
Standing on the periphery and taking mental notes was her teammate Tessa Cichy, a junior guard who will be in the same position a year from now. Cichy is being recruited by numerous Big Ten and Big East programs. She said Wednesday she wants to play in the Midwest.
"I want to sign early if possible,'' she said. "I am learning about the recruiting process from watching Bethany. I am waiting for one of those aha moments that will tell me what school I will choose.''
Said Hill-Murray coach Erin Herman: "This is pretty exciting stuff. I feel like (Doolittle) is one of my children. There are so many great things in front of her.''
STILLWATER
When Carson Cannon tells people he is going to the University of Denver to play lacrosse, he gets quizzical looks.
"Many people still don't know about the sport,'' said Cannon, a defender in lacrosse as well as a standout football player. "I feel I have to educate them. It is a way of giving back to the lacrosse program.''
Stillwater classmate Hannah Bowen put herself on the Minnesota swimming map by winning a championship in record time as a sophomore. Now she wants to do the same at Notre Dame.
"I am looking to put Notre Dame on the map for women's swimming,'' she said. "I want to help make us a power.''
CRETIN-DERHAM HALL
Kiera Jansen said she started swimming at age 2. On her first plunge, she started to sink. She quickly graduated from dog paddling to Division I swimmer. Jansen, who has won six state championships, signed a letter of intent to swim at Minnesota.
She displayed her Gophers pride with golden-sparkling pumps and a maroon headband.
"I have always worked hard and have had big dreams,'' she said. "Part of those dreams include the Olympics, but first, I can't wait to be a Gopher. I am really excited.''
Last summer, she was captain of a Junior Olympic team that competed in Singapore.
Cretin-Derham Hall classmate Jennifer Hartjes never settled in her quest to be a Division I tennis player.
"I kept pushing my game really hard over the years,'' the Creighton recruit said. "I love the strategy behind every stroke and being able to use my strengths to my advantage.''
Hartjes was a four-time Section 4AA singles champion and helped lead the Raiders to three state tournament berths.


The link to the article can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...